
'Hungry to win' - Villa's Konsa joins Arsenal in £55m deal
Arsenal complete the £55m signing of England defender Ezri Konsa from Aston Villa.
Key Highlights
- "It's a privilege to be here and can't wait to get started," said Konsa, who revealed he had spoken with Arsenal's Three Lions players about joining while at the World Cup.
- They must comply with Uefa's squad cost ratio (SCR) which restricts them to spending 70% of their football-related revenue on player and staff wages, transfer fees and agent fees.
- Al-Hilal may also test Villa's resolve again before the 1 September transfer deadline for Ollie Watkins, with the Premier League club reportedly tabling a new contract to try to keep the striker.
- Ezri Konsa says he is proud to play for "one of the best teams in the world" as he completed his £55m move to Arsenal.
- 9m was suspended after Villa came to a settlement agreement with European football's governing body.
Ezri Konsa says he is proud to play for "one of the best teams in the world" as he completed his £55m move to Arsenal.
The 28-year-old England defender joins the Premier League champions from Aston Villa on a four-year contract, with the option to extend for a further year.
After weeks of negotiation, the clubs reached an agreement on Wednesday which could earn Villa up to an additional £4m in add-ons.
"It's a privilege to be here and can't wait to get started," said Konsa, who revealed he had spoken with Arsenal's Three Lions players about joining while at the World Cup.
"I want to keep winning, I'm hungry to win and that's what I'm here for.
"It's a proud moment for me and my family to play for one of the best teams in the world.
"BBC Sport revealed Arsenal were in talks with Villa about signing Konsa last week, but the clubs disagreed on his valuation.
Bayer Leverkusen's Jarrell Quansah, who represented England alongside Konsa at this summer's World Cup, was also an option for the Gunners before a fee was finally agreed.
Arsenal's sporting director Andrea Berta said: "Ezri is a defender of high quality, whose athleticism, composure and tactical intelligence have established him as one of the Premier League's most consistent performers.
"Being comfortable in both central defence and at right-back, Ezri will bring valuable versatility to our squad while maintaining the high defensive standards which are fundamental to our challenge of winning major trophies.
"Konsa made 286 appearances for Villa since joining in July 2019 from Brentford and helped them win the Europa League in May, the club's first European trophy since 1982.
He scored two goals last season with one assist in 48 appearances as Unai Emery's men secured Champions League football with a fourth-placed Premier League finish.
Konsa also played in every England game as Thomas Tuchel's side reached the World Cup semi-finals, losing to Argentina, but then winning the Bronze medal match by beating France.
Arsenal quartet Eberechi Eze, Noni Madueke, Declan Rice and Bukayo Saka were also in the squad and discussed the move with him while in North America.
Konsa revealed: "They said I'll enjoy it.
I'm looking forward to training with them and playing with them.
He was given four weeks off by Emery after the tournament and has not played in any of Villa's pre-season games, including their 2-1 defeat by Paris St-Germain in the Uefa Super Cup.
The Gunners have spent more than £100m already, bringing in midfielder Bruno Guimaraes from Newcastle (£75m) and Club Brugge winger Christos Tzolis (£34m) during this transfer window.
Last season, their extremely well-organised defence - aided by the effective partnership of William Saliba and Gabriel Magalhaes - helped them win their first title in 22 years as they conceded just 27 league goals.
Originally reported by BBC Sport. TechVeb news desk.
Stay in the loop
Get the latest tech news and AI insights delivered to your inbox. No spam, unsubscribe anytime.
TechVeb Team
Your trusted source for the latest in technology, AI innovations, and digital trends. We bring you in-depth analysis, expert reviews, and comprehensive guides.
Learn more about us →More sports News
Argentina's Paredes banned for 10 games after World Cup clashes
Fifa ban Argentina midfielder Leandro Paredes for 10 matches over his role in clashes with Spanish players after the World Cup final.
Bartlett battles to give Northants a fighting chance at Old Trafford
Lancashire lose two wickets in reply as promotion race hots up
Brighton reject Liverpool's new £60m Minteh bid
Liverpool have an improved bid of £60m for winger Yankuba Minteh rejected by Brighton but talks between the clubs continue.